Links: AFCSM | EatSleepFootball | Mourinho Game | Arsenal

 

"It was the winter holiday and I was back in Togo having a kickabout with friends when my phone rang.One of the boys answered it and said, 'Manu, it's Arsene for you'. 'Arsene who?' I said. 'Arsene Wenger', he said. 'Get out of it', I said, and grabbed the phone off him. But then I heard the voice. 'Allo'. F*****g hell. It is Arsene Wenger!"
-Emmanuel Adebayor




Sagna Gonna Cost A Lot More Than £6m

Lots of news today so lets start off with Bakari Sagna's latest plee to join Arsenal. I have to say though, after seeing Robinho go on striker to join Real, then Essien went on strike to join Chelsea..its nice to see a player wanting to join us so badly. But if he ever goes on strike Arsenal should not sign him as thats disrespectful and it shows immaturity. Anyway, about Sagna, he has been telling Football365 that he wants to join the Gunners but the Auxerre BOD are asking for way too much money. One quote in particular caught my attention:
"Regarding at what price Auxerre want to transfer me, I can't join another French club. So if I leave, I will go to England.
"Auxerre directors ask for a lot of money, I am not lucky. It is capital for my future."
Ok 2..Surely at least half of the french clubs in Ligue 1 can afford £6m. Basically what this tells me is that Auxerre want something close to £10m which would not be the best deal for a defender unless we have the money to spare. I have stated many times that I want Sagna at Arsenal because that means we can push Eboue to the wing but at £10m, is he worth it? A quick search in FM found Anthony Vanden Boore (Fiorentina), Rafinha (Shalke 04) and Eduardo Ratinho (Corinthians, i think). All wonderkids according to my scout ;-)

Arsenal.com has confirmed that we have signed 17 year-old Norwegian defender Harvard Nordtveit from FK Haugesund on a long term contract for an undisclosed fee (£2m). Another one for the future. He played for Norway at both the Under-17's and Under-19's European Championships.

Paul Merson is worried about Arsenal now that Thierry Henry has left. You cant take him seriously after the first paragraph when he says the spuds have a 50% chance of finishing 4th. I wonder why everyone is saying that Henry's absence means Arsenal will crumble. We went nearly the whole of last season without him and we still got 4th place quite comfortably. Eduardo will bring something we didn't have last season which was someone in the box to put away all those crosses so we are definitely stronger. The return of RvP from injury, Gallas building a partnership with Toure and a new keeper to challenge Lehmann, this side will not only finish 4th but it will give Man Utd and Chelsea more of a title race than the 06/07 side did.

The Sun reports that the board have offered Wenger £75k to remain at the helm for another 4 years. Wenger is currently paid £50k but I doubt money has anything to do with the decision to sign a contract or not. They also claim that we are battling with Juve to sign Obafemi Martins and that neither side has tabled the £13m offer to trigger his get-out clause. hard to believe anything The Sun says but if it is true, I would still prefer Huntelaar.

Something tells me we're gonna sign another player within the next week,
Till then...

posted by highbury1913 @ 4:21 pm | |



<< Home