Links: AFCSM | EatSleepFootball | Mourinho Game | Arsenal

 

"It was the winter holiday and I was back in Togo having a kickabout with friends when my phone rang.One of the boys answered it and said, 'Manu, it's Arsene for you'. 'Arsene who?' I said. 'Arsene Wenger', he said. 'Get out of it', I said, and grabbed the phone off him. But then I heard the voice. 'Allo'. F*****g hell. It is Arsene Wenger!"
-Emmanuel Adebayor




CL Draw: Arsenal VS Juventus ...The Return Of Vieira



I have to say, I didnt really pay attention to the prospect of Arsenal playing Juve before today, I was sitting in front of the TV, watching the draw and before it started, the host had repeated the clubs that had qualified for the quarter-finals, and when i heard Juventus, I thought, "Juve, that would be interesting...". Surely enough Arsenal was the first name out of the bowl, followed by Juve. When the camera pointed at David Deon, I saw a happy but fearful look on his face. The same smile he gives but people ask him about Henry's contract.

Why would the draw be interesting? 2 resons, or more accurately, 2 people, Patrick Vieira and Tony Adams. If you thought Arsenal had a reason to be motivated for the Madrid game, then Arsenal would be over-motivated for this one.

1. Patrick Vieira
"They don't come more glamorous than that,"

"I thought Arsenal v Real Madrid was something special, certainly the Arsenal v Juventus game is enormously interesting and we just have to do it.

"It will be nice to see Patrick Vieira back at Highbury. Our boys are looking good, we'll be up for it."

Those are the words of David Dein when he was inteviewed by Sky Sports News, and im guessing by interesting he meant this is our chance to show Pat what he left behind, followed by a laud cackle! Enough joking around, down to the main point:

Arsenal need to prove critics wrong that Arsenal will never be a 'top-level' club without Vieira, the only way i can see us shutting their mouth is by beating Patrick himself. And not the mention, the battle of two titans of central midfield, PATRICK VIEIRA AND CESC FABREGAS!!! OMG! What a thriller!

2.Tony Adams
Time for a flashback, this is what Tony Adams said last week:
"Maybe they have not got enough experienced guys to tell the younger ones what to do. In hindsight, Patrick [Vieira] leaving was a year too early.

"They have a chance of course but I said Juventus from the start and having seen them a couple of times they just look awesome to me."

I see this as a chance for Arsenal to prove hteir former captain wrong.

3. Our History Against Juve
No big matches I can remember in recent history but I do remember us drawing them in Group D in the 2001/2002 season. Correct me if im wrong, Arsenal won at Highbury 3-1 thanks to 2 goals from Henry in his 'revenge' first against Juve since leaving the club, I think Freddie scored the other. Now you would say that that means Arsenal have Juve's number but.... Juve, after being the first team eliminated after the 5th game I think sent out a B team against Arsenal in the last match of the 2nd group stage, a game Arsenal needed to win to qualify for the quarter-finals...Juve won 1-0, Henry missed a penalty and Arsenal were eliminated from Europe. I cant belive i remember that....Anyway, that was nothing compared to the tie we are about to see.

Anyway, I think we will get past Juve rather easily...dont ask me why, I just have one of those 'feelings'. I have more confidence of us winning this tie than I had of us beating Real Madrid. All in all, a good tie!

posted by highbury1913 @ 10:23 pm | |



<< Home