Links: AFCSM | EatSleepFootball | Mourinho Game | Arsenal

 

"It was the winter holiday and I was back in Togo having a kickabout with friends when my phone rang.One of the boys answered it and said, 'Manu, it's Arsene for you'. 'Arsene who?' I said. 'Arsene Wenger', he said. 'Get out of it', I said, and grabbed the phone off him. But then I heard the voice. 'Allo'. F*****g hell. It is Arsene Wenger!"
-Emmanuel Adebayor




CL: Arsenal 2-0 Juventus... Capello Believes It Was Luck

"I have to say Arsenal were very lucky tonight, especially coming from nine days without a match. It's not a justification but it's clear."

That was the words of Fabio Capello, Juventus manager after Arsenal beat his Juve side 2-0 at Highbury. Well, was Arsenal really 'lucky'? Well it depends on how you look at it...

Pavel Nedved was suspended and Del Pierro was injured, if that is 'lucky', then yes Arsenal were lucky... But wait, Arsenal didnt have Freddie Ljungberg and Sol Campbell and had to play Flamini in left-back again as Ashley Cole is still injured. Now, would that make Juventus 'lucky'? I think so.

Capello pointed out that Arsenal had not played for 9 days...well, that means that Arsenal were fresh for the game, but it isnt an excuse for your defeat. Is it just me, or are more managers becoming like Jose Mourinho....constantly babbling obvious lies to the press.



On to the match itself, like against Real Madrid, Arsenal started slow, Juventus were pressuring Arsenal for about 10 minutes but slowly Arsenal got back into the game and passes were successfully meeting their targets. Arsenal pressed forward looking for the first goal. Cesc and Thierry both had chances to give Arsenal the lead early on but could not finish off good moves. Fabregas would make up for that mistake in the 40th minute after Pires had timed a tackle on Vieira perfectly, then passing to Henry, who spotted Cesc in space... and Cesc finished off the move with a calm shot through Thuram's legs, catching Buffon off-guard.

Pires later told reporters that he was very proud of his tackle on Vieira. And it is somewhat like the pupil copied the master.
'I am happy with the tackle on Patrick Vieira,'' said Pires.
''It is the first time I did it in the 13 years of my career, and it led to the first goal.''

Pavel Nedved who didnt play said that it would be a difficult if not impossible result to overturn in Turin. But Gianluigi Buffon had the perfect remark on the current state of the tie, “We’ll have to play the perfect match,” he said. “But if Arsenal play like they did tonight, even that won’t be enough.”
In the end I think everyone saw the 'funny' side of Vieira's return with the Gilberto giving him a very manly return to Highbury[click thumbnail on the left]. I dont really know who found the picture first but I found a link in ArseWars and Arseblogger. I seriously dont know how much Vieira enjoyed that...atleast the fans were 'nice'!

posted by highbury1913 @ 9:33 pm | |



<< Home