Links: AFCSM | EatSleepFootball | Mourinho Game | Arsenal

 

"It was the winter holiday and I was back in Togo having a kickabout with friends when my phone rang.One of the boys answered it and said, 'Manu, it's Arsene for you'. 'Arsene who?' I said. 'Arsene Wenger', he said. 'Get out of it', I said, and grabbed the phone off him. But then I heard the voice. 'Allo'. F*****g hell. It is Arsene Wenger!"
-Emmanuel Adebayor




CYC Cup '07: Arsenal 0-0 Ajax Amsterdam

I watched the Arsenal-Ajax match today which took place here in Malaysia. The young Arsenal team sent here which included defender Ogogo, Jay Simpson, Rui Fonte, the outstanding Nazer Barazite and new signing Gilles Sunu did not inpress me one bit. I hate to be honest, but if that match is anything to go by for the future of the Arsenal team, not many if any of those players would make it to the first team.

Jay Simpson definitely is one of the players that impressed me. The striker played more to the right and on more than one occasion used his speed and trickery to get past the much bigger Ajax opponents. Nazer Barazite showed glimpses of the potential world beater he can be but overall didn't really make an impact. He has good movement but the passing can sometimes let him down and his finishing needs working on. Ogogo impressed me in defence but he made an absolute ridiculous and horrible challenge on an Ajax man, which not only started a mini-brawl but also resulted in both players receiving their marching orders. The new signing Sunu didnt really see much of the ball so ill reserve my views on him till the next match.

Overall, a performance that I hope we will not see again against AC Milan and Flamengo. Its important to point out though that we have one of the youngest squads in the tournament and we shouldn't expect the kids to come away with a trophy. The match as a whole was not entertaining. Usually 0-0 matches are filled with stories of hero defenders and how the two teams defended very well. This match though, just showed 2 sides with inexperienced strikers.

The other Group A match between AC Milan and Flamengo finished 1-1.

posted by highbury1913 @ 10:15 pm | |



<< Home